A couple of years ago, I learned that M1, a Singapore-based MNO, was doing exactly what I had been evangelizing about—going ALL IN on the public cloud. Leading the charge was then-Chief Digital Officer Nathan Bell. I’ve been hoping to have him on the podcast ever since I heard about what he was doing. Today, my wish comes true. In this episode, he joins me to talk about:
- How Nathan and M1 got the idea—in 2019!— to go all-in on the public cloud [03:47];
- The moment they knew they were going to be successful [14:41];
- How they brought the team along on the transformation journey [16:11]; and
- What Nathan would do differently if he had to do it all over again [19:01].
Listen to our conversation by clicking play above or subscribe through your favorite podcast platform – see the links in the right column above. You can find the transcript for this episode here.
A quick side note: Nathan recently shared exciting news – a few weeks ago he accepted the role of Digital Practice Partner at Kearney. Congratulations, Nathan!
Links and Resources
- Take a look at M1’s February 2021 news release about its digital transformation
- Watch the TM Forum panel where Nathan and I first met, CSPs should run toward public cloud
- Listen to The Cloud Strategy panel from Asia Pacific Telecom Summit 2022, where Nathan talked more about M1’s cloud move
- Learn more about Kearney’s digital practice, where Nathan recently became a partner.
- Get Nathan’s take on what bringing people along on a digital transformation has in common with the evolution of F1 racing
- Nathan’s right, “with great power comes great responsibility” – so here’s a mash-up from Spiderman: No Way Home to remind you to watch your team when you give them free rein in the public cloud
- Check out Rolling Stone’s list of the 100 greatest Bruce Springsteen songs of all time – Born to Run is #1!
THIS WEEK’S GUEST
Nathan Bell is Digital Practice Partner at Kearney. He is an advisor and mentor to both businesses at scale and startups, helping to guide their journeys as they seek to leverage the value of digital agendas and scale digital offerings. As the Chief Digital Officer for M1, Nathan helped shape the future of M1’s business, from how customers choose and consume services, to the experiences of its staff, to engagement with its partners. With more than 20 years of experience in the telecommunication industry, Nathan has held a number of senior leadership and sales positions in Europe and Asia Pacific at companies.
Wanna talk public cloud? Telco execs, set up a meeting with our team to learn how to tap the immense business value it can bring.
- Have an idea for a Telco in 20 podcast guest or topic? Send it in!
- Want to sponsor a podcast? Let us know
- Follow Telco in 20 on Twitter @TelcoIn20
- Follow DR on Twitter @TelcoDR
The Telco in 20 podcast won a 2022 Gold Hermes Award and was recognized as a Forrester Top 100 Channel Podcast and Feedspot Top 10 Telecom Podcast. If you enjoy the podcast, would you leave us a short review? It takes you seconds to do in your app and it really makes a difference in helping to convince hard-to-get guests. And I love reading your feedback and reviews!
- Executive Producer and Host: Danielle Royston, TelcoDR
- Senior Producer: Lindsay Grubb, TillCo Media
- Editor/Producer: Alisa Jenkins Wilson, Springboard Marketing
- Audio Editing: Andrew Condell
- Associate Producer: Kriselda Dionisio
- Music: Dyami Wilson
More episodes from Telco in 20
Catching up with Azure and AT&T
In 2021, AT&T sold its network cloud to Microsoft Azure. For this episode, Shawn Hakl, Microsoft VP of 5G strategy, shares the latest on how the hyperscaler-telco collaboration is going.
The public cloud is PERFECT for India
The public cloud is perfect for India’s unique telco market. The only catch is that operators have to select software that’s native to the public cloud to maximize its potential.