The signs are everywhere—the MVNO segment of telco is picking up steam. On November 16-17, 2022, MVNO leaders from around the world will gather at the inaugural MVNO Nation Live conference in Valencia, Spain, while 800-pound gorilla GSMA has plans to host its first MVNO Summit as part of the big show at next year’s Mobile World Congress in Barcelona. This makes it a great time to explore the ins and outs of launching a successful MVNO or digital brand. In this episode, I’m talking with Scott Venuti, General Manager at Plum, a mobile virtual network aggregator (MVNA). He helps MVNOs get their businesses launched and ready for success. Click play to hear our conversation about:
- How long it takes to get an MVNO set up [07:47];
- Why being nimble is key [09:28];
- Why getting plans to market is so important for successful MVNOs [10:51];
- The importance of making the right decisions at the beginning of the journey [13:23]; and
- Thoughts on MVNO profitability and margins [15:16].
Listen to our conversation by clicking play above or subscribe through your favorite podcast platform—see the links in the right column above. You can find the transcript for this episode here.
Links and Resources
- Read about Plum’s exclusive collaboration with T-Mobile
- MVNOs and digital brands are great ways to experiment with new software. Those smarty pants over at McKinsey & Company agree and even wrote an article about their cool ideas
- Find out how MVNOs can super-charge their BSS with Totogi’s BSS enhancement platform, starting with our Charging-as-a-Service!
- Learn more about MVNO Nation Live, happening November 16-17 in Valencia, Spain. Totogi is the event’s Principal Sponsor—let’s meet while we’re there! And check out all the great reasons Totogi is a perfect fit for MVNOs
- Next time you’re in the US state of Massachusetts, check out Scott’s family business, Bedford Farms Ice Cream
- How many scoops of ice cream can you balance on an ice cream cone? Watch the record being set, complete with a cameo from the guy who holds the Guinness Book of World Records for “Longest Tongue,” which might come in handy with 125 (!) scoops
THIS WEEK’S GUEST
As the General Manager of Plum, the wholesale division of UVNV, Scott brings more than 25 years of experience in the telecommunications space. He joined UVNV in 2019 as VP of Channel Development for UVNV’s Mint Mobile and Ultra Mobile brands before launching the Plum wholesale business in 2020. He is an industry veteran with expertise in carrier-side and MVNO-side wireless wholesale sales and operations, as well as consumer and business distribution and channel management.
Wanna talk public cloud? Telco execs, set up a meeting with our team to learn how to tap the immense business value it can bring.
- Have an idea for a Telco in 20 podcast guest or topic? Send it in!
- Want to sponsor a podcast? Let us know
- Follow Telco in 20 on Twitter @TelcoIn20
- Follow DR on Twitter @TelcoDR
The Telco in 20 podcast won a 2022 Platinum MarComm Award, a 2022 Gold Hermes Award, and was recognized as a Forrester Top 100 Channel Podcast and Feedspot Top 10 Telecom Podcast. If you enjoy the podcast, would you leave us a short review? It takes you seconds to do in your app and it really makes a difference in helping to convince hard-to-get guests. And I love reading your feedback and reviews!
- Executive Producer and Host: Danielle Royston, TelcoDR
- Senior Producer: Lindsay Grubb, TillCo Media
- Editor/Producer: Alisa Jenkins Wilson, Springboard Marketing
- Audio Editing: Andrew Condell
- Associate Producer: Kriselda Dionisio
- Music: Dyami Wilson
More episodes from Telco in 20
Catching up with Azure and AT&T
In 2021, AT&T sold its network cloud to Microsoft Azure. For this episode, Shawn Hakl, Microsoft VP of 5G strategy, shares the latest on how the hyperscaler-telco collaboration is going.
Born to run (in the cloud) with Nathan Bell
A few years ago, former M1 Chief Digital Officer Nathan Bell helped the MNO go all-in on the public cloud, making it the most cloud-forward telco in the world at the time. He shares the details of M1’s transformation journey.