I had some amazing conversations this year, but none grabbed more ears than my in-person interview with DISH Wireless Executive Vice President and Chief Network Officer Marc Rouanne. He offered a behind-the-scenes look at DISH’s new 5G network, its work with AWS, and more. The original episode went live in June, and since then it’s been listened to thousands of times. Hit play to hear:
- How hyperscaler investments made DISH’s project possible [02:34];
- What Marc would change about the AWS platform [04:20];
- His experience working with software vendors’ cloud-native solutions [05:46];
- How building on AWS changed the economics of network operations [07:26]; and
- Marc’s vision for using open APIs to grow the business [9:55].
A few weeks ago at AWS re:Invent 2022, DISH released its first batch of Network APIs, just as Marc envisioned. It’s so exciting to watch it unfold! Listen to our conversation by clicking play above or subscribe through your favorite podcast platform. You can find the transcript for this episode here.
Links and Resources
- Watch the video of my conversation with Marc on the TelcoDR YouTube channel
- DISH’s network APIs were huge news at this year’s AWS re:Invent. Don’t miss these headlines from Light Reading, Fierce Wireless and TelecomTV. Even McKinsey & Company Partner Ferry Grijpink chimed in. (Oh, and ICYMI, check out Ferry’s Telco in 20 episode—the second most popular of the year!)
- Check out the DISH Wireless Developer Hub and read TelcoDR’s blog about it
- Read about how Totogi joined DISH at AWS re:Invent to showcase its capabilities
- Watch the fun holiday interview I did with Ray LeMaistre from TelecomTV about why the DISH project is a gamechanger for telco
- Find out what happened to the mini computer vendors that didn’t see innovation coming until it was too late.
- The best way to spread telco cheer is singing loud for all to hear. My favorite holiday song? Mariah Carey’s “All I Want For Christmas” of course! Put it on full blast and sing it the top of your lungs!
THIS WEEK’S GUEST
As Executive Vice President and Chief Network Officer for DISH’s wireless business, Marc is responsible for network architecture, RF network and strategy, core network architecture and strategy, cloud and edge strategy, security, transport, 5G lab management and interoperability testing. He brings to DISH more than 20 years of international management experience in the telecommunications industry, having held executive positions in R&D, customer operations and product management in the U.S., France and Finland.
Wanna talk public cloud? Telco execs, set up a meeting with our team to learn how to tap the immense business value it can bring.
- Have an idea for a Telco in 20 podcast guest or topic? Send it in!
- Want to sponsor a podcast? Let us know
- Follow Telco in 20 on Twitter @TelcoIn20
- Follow DR on Twitter @TelcoDR
The Telco in 20 podcast won a 2022 Platinum MarComm Award, a 2022 Gold Hermes Award, and was recognized as a Forrester Top 100 Channel Podcast and Feedspot Top 10 Telecom Podcast. If you enjoy the podcast, would you leave us a short review? It takes you seconds to do in your app and it really makes a difference in helping to convince hard-to-get guests. And I love reading your feedback and reviews!
- Executive Producer and Host: Danielle Royston, TelcoDR
- Senior Producer: Lindsay Grubb, TillCo Media
- Editor/Producer: Alisa Jenkins Wilson, Springboard Marketing
- Audio Editing: Andrew Condell
- Associate Producer: Kriselda Dionisio
- Music: Dyami Wilson
More episodes from Telco in 20
Supercharge your MVNO (and your ARPU)
MVNO’s can use their operational nimbleness, the public cloud, and tools like Totogi to create hyper-personalized experiences for their subscribers.
Bye-bye, private cloud; hello, public cloud
Davide Bellini from Accenture shares insights into what telcos are planning to do with the public cloud and the challenges and opportunities they’re facing.