So much has changed with the public cloud and telco since I created CLOUD CITY at Mobile World Congress (MWC) 2021. Back then, most industry folks said that the public cloud might be a good fit for enterprise IT and BSS workloads, but considering it for network workloads was an entirely different matter. Fast-forward two years, and now my question for the industry is, “are there any telco workloads that can’t move?”
In this episode, I talk with Ben Baker from Juniper Networks about where we are in telco’s network journey to the public cloud and which workloads the hyperscalers are ready to support. Click play to hear our conversation about:
- The most important strategic decision for telcos [05:02];
- Why the network is more important than ever [06:57];
- Can telcos technically run network workloads on the public cloud [09:38]; and
- How and why telcos should be using the public cloud [13:41].
Listen now by clicking play above or subscribe through your favorite podcast platform—see the links in the right column above. You can find the transcript for this episode here.
Links and Resources
- Visit the Juniper Networks website
- Read about AWS Telco Network Builder.
- Watch my EPIC keynote from MWC 2021, The paradox of the public cloud
- Dracyrus! Watch Danyres Targarian utter the famous DRAGONFIRE command as she takes over the Unsullied Army in this unforgettable scene from Game of Thrones, Season 3!
- I’ve been nominated for Silverlining’s March Madness poll to name the most influential person in cloud. I’m up against some heavy hitters, so help a girl out and cast your vote here.
THIS WEEK’S GUEST
Ben Baker is a Senior Director, Cloud and Data Center Marketing & Business Analysis, at Juniper Networks. Ben has been working with cloud and service providers around the world for more than 20 years, developing business cases for a variety of product concepts and new ventures. Ben holds a BS & MS in Mechanical Engineering from Johns Hopkins University and an MBA from MIT.
Wanna talk public cloud? Telco execs, set up a meeting with our team to learn how to tap the immense business value it can bring.
- Have an idea for a Telco in 20 podcast guest or topic? Send it in!
- Want to sponsor a podcast? Let us know
- Follow Telco in 20 on Twitter @TelcoIn20
- Follow DR on Twitter @TelcoDR
The Telco in 20 podcast won a 2022 Platinum MarComm Award, a 2022 Gold Hermes Award, and was recognized as a Forrester Top 100 Channel Podcast and Feedspot Top 10 Telecom Podcast. If you enjoy the podcast, would you leave us a short review? It takes you seconds to do in your app and it really makes a difference in helping to convince hard-to-get guests. And I love reading your feedback and reviews!
- Executive Producer and Host: Danielle Royston, TelcoDR
- Senior Producer: Lindsay Grubb, TillCo Media
- Editor/Producer: Alisa Jenkins Wilson, Springboard Marketing
- Audio Editing: Andrew Condell
- Associate Producer: Kriselda Dionisio
- Music: Dyami Wilson
More episodes from Telco in 20
SUPERCHARGE your MVNO with personalization
MVNO’s can delight customers and grow ARPU by using carrier-grade, public cloud-native SaaS software (like Totogi!) to gain real-time insights and deliver superior subscriber experiences.
The American dream: Building a killer MVNO
US Mobile was built on the public cloud from day one. Founder and CEO Ahmed Khattak talks about how the company’s cloud-first design has delighted customers and helped it thrive.