The amount the hyperscalers spend on the public cloud is staggering. It requires a $100-billion+ buy-in to be considered a serious player. Today’s guest, Charles Fitzgerald, tracks hyperscaler CapEx spending each quarter on his Platformonomics blog. He parses earning reports to gain insight into who’s putting their money where their mouth is.
Charles recently published his annual 2022 retrospective on the cloud players. In this episode, we get his thoughts on the Big Three, the other guys, and the telco clouds. Click play to hear our conversation about:
- Why he started tracking the hyperscaler CapEx [01:57];
- How the Big Three rank in spending and where telcos sit in the mix [04:02];
- His insightful take on AWS’, Azure’s, and Google Cloud’s positions in the market [09:19]; and
- Why he thinks IBM and Oracle are out of the race [15:45].
Listen now by clicking play above or subscribe through your favorite podcast platform—see the links in the right column above. You can find the transcript for this episode here.
Links and Resources
- Read Charles Fitzgerald’s 2022 retrospective on public cloud CapEx spending
- IBM thinks “$1 BILLION DOLLARS” is impressive. It reminded me of this hysterical scene from Austin Powers when Dr. Evil wants to hold the world ransom—for $1 million dollars
- If you want fair share from the techCo’s, be ready to pay for their content budget, as noted in this Mobile World Live write up of Netflix Co-CEO Greg Peters’ comments at MWC
- Take a look at TelcoDR’s hyperscaler region tracker to see where all the 3 “BIGS” have been putting their regions
- Look inside Barack Obama’s head — or at least what he read last summer — by checking out his 2022 summer reading list
- It took me some practice to say “Platformonomics” for Charles’ intro. It reminded of this epic Muppet skits — Mahna Mahna
THIS WEEK’S GUEST
Charles Fitzgerald is a Seattle-based angel investor, with a focus on developer platforms and infrastructure. Previously, he spent 20+ years working on platform businesses at Microsoft and VMware. He can see the cloud from his house. Follow him on Twitter @charlesfitz.
Wanna talk public cloud? Telco execs, set up a meeting with our team to learn how to tap the immense business value it can bring.
- Have an idea for a Telco in 20 podcast guest or topic? Send it in!
- Want to sponsor a podcast? Let us know
- Follow Telco in 20 on Twitter @TelcoIn20
- Follow DR on Twitter @TelcoDR
The Telco in 20 podcast won a 2022 Platinum MarComm Award, a 2022 Gold Hermes Award, and was recognized as a Forrester Top 100 Channel Podcast and Feedspot Top 10 Telecom Podcast. If you enjoy the podcast, would you leave us a short review? It takes you seconds to do in your app and it really makes a difference in helping to convince hard-to-get guests. And I love reading your feedback and reviews!
- Executive Producer and Host: Danielle Royston, TelcoDR
- Senior Producer: Lindsay Grubb, TillCo Media
- Editor/Producer: Alisa Jenkins Wilson, Springboard Marketing
- Audio Editing: Andrew Condell
- Associate Producer: Kriselda Dionisio
- Music: Dyami Wilson
More episodes from Telco in 20
SUPERCHARGE your MVNO with personalization
MVNO’s can delight customers and grow ARPU by using carrier-grade, public cloud-native SaaS software (like Totogi!) to gain real-time insights and deliver superior subscriber experiences.
Running your network on the public cloud with Juniper Networks
Ben Baker from Juniper Networks talks about whether the hyperscalers are technically ready to support network workloads.