This week’s guest
Senior HR Professional and Leadership Guru
Forget technology and hyperscalers for a minute. If your company is going to survive its inevitable move to the public cloud, you need to start focusing on your people — retraining your team, hiring new talent, and in some cases – letting some people go. That’s right, we’re going to talk about a forbidden topic in this episode: firing people.
This is first in my three-part HR series about the people-side of big change. I’ve known our guest, Jim Abolt, for two decades. You may have heard my interview with him about leadership in Episode 1. If not, take a listen when you get a chance. It’s great.
Jim is an SVP of Human Resources and a leadership guru. He knows more than anyone I’ve met about the effect of big change on the people within an organization.
Hit the play button to hear Jim’s take on:
- A framework for ushering in change that can be used by anyone – from Girl Scout Leaders to say, President-Elects [04:16];
- The most overlooked element that can inspire team members to lead the way [05:06];
- The three reasons some changes don’t gain traction [03:15];
- How to model the way forward [08:28];
- How to handle resistance to your new vision [10:57]; and
- The intersection between Spock and Mother Teresa [12:20].
Links and Resources
- You can find the transcript for this episode here.
- Check out my blog posts about Jim’s five-step framework for making your cloud vision a reality:
- Listen to Telco in 20 Episode 1 to hear Jim talk about transformational leadership
- How not to implement change: watch Office Space, the movie. The leaders in this movie don’t explain why the changes are happening and instead hire consultants to figure out how to change the culture.
- A really good example of leadership in a movie is Remember the Titans. Denzel sets an ambitious goal and takes over a team 100% opposed to him and turns it around. Inspiring.
- Download my guide, Time to go to the public cloud! The essential steps for complete cloud success
Jim Abolt is a senior HR professional and leadership guru. He’s widely regarded as an expert in leadership development, culture shaping, and large-scale organizational change. Throughout his career, he has played key roles in helping multimillion-dollar companies with global growth, merger and acquisition integration, and succession planning.
The Telco in 20 podcast won a 2022 Gold Hermes Award and was recognized on Forrester’s 2021 list of the Top 100 Channel Podcasts and Feedspot’s Top 10 Telecom Podcasts list.
If you enjoy the podcast, would you leave us a short review? It takes you seconds to do in your app and it really makes a difference in helping to convince hard-to-get guests. And I love reading your feedback and reviews!
- Executive Producer and Host: Danielle Royston, TelcoDR
- Executive Producer: Kristin Donelson, OneLouder Marketing
- Senior Producer: Lindsay Grubb, TillCo Media
- Editor/Producer: Alisa Jenkins Wilson, Springboard Marketing
- Audio Capture: Aaron Joslow, Rally Point Webinars
- Audio Editing: Andrew Condell
- Music: Dyami Wilson