In 2021, DISH announced that it was rolling out a new, greenfield, 5G network in the United States on AWS—and spending only $10-billion dollars to do it. Skeptics immediately started saying it couldn’t be done, but not me—this was exactly the kind of visionary project I had been dreaming of!
Today’s guest, DISH Wireless Executive Vice President and Chief Network Officer Marc Rouanne, has been a driving force behind making the DISH project a reality. He and his team are setting the new standard for how networks operate. Listen now to hear:
- How hyperscaler investments made the project possible [02:36];
- What Marc would change about the AWS platform [04:35];
- DISH’s experience working with software vendors’ cloud-native solutions [06:01]; and
- How building on AWS changed the economics of network operations [07:41]
When I started this podcast two years ago, my vision was to help telco execs redefine the way networks and services are deployed, so having Marc on to talk about this project is a true milestone. Be sure to watch the video of our conversation on the TelcoDR YouTube channel.
THIS WEEK’S GUEST
As Executive Vice President and Chief Network Officer for DISH’s wireless business, Marc is responsible for network architecture, RF network and strategy, core network architecture and strategy, cloud and edge strategy, security, transport, 5G lab management and interoperability testing. He brings to DISH more than 20 years of international management experience in the telecommunications industry, having held executive positions in R&D, customer operations and product management in the U.S., France and Finland.
Listen to our conversation by clicking play above or subscribe through your favorite podcast feed.
- Download as an MP3 by right-clicking here and choosing “save as.”
- Listen on your favorite podcast platform – see the links above under the audio player.
- You can find the transcript for this episode here.
Links and Resources
- Watch a short teaser of our video conversation on the TelcoDR YouTube channel
- Read DISH’s recent announcement about the launch of its Smart 5G™ Wireless Network to 120 cities, covering 20% of the US population
- Download the TelcoDR case study, 1&1 vs DISH: a tale of two Open RAN networks—or if you’re tight on time, read my blog on the topic
- Watch this interview I did with Ray LeMaistre from TelecomTV about why the DISH project is a game changer for telco
- Read AWS’s official announcement about the DISH-AWS strategic partnership
- Check out this Light Reading article about the DISH network go-live by Mike Dano
- Read about what happened to the mini computer vendors that didn’t see innovation coming until it was too late.
- Marc loves to sail, which gave me the idea to put together a Yacht-rock playlist! I had so much fun listening and watching the videos, I tweeted them out!
- Sailing, Christopher Cross
- I Keep Forgettin’, Michael McDonald
- This is It, Kenny Loggins
- You Can Do Magic, America
- Ride Like the Wind, Christopher Cross
Wanna talk public cloud? Telco execs, set up a meeting with our team to learn how to tap the immense business value it can bring.
- Have an idea for a Telco in 20 podcast guest or topic? Send it in!
- Want to sponsor a podcast? Let us know
- Follow Telco in 20 on Twitter @TelcoIn20
- Follow DR on Twitter @TelcoDR
The Telco in 20 podcast won a 2022 Gold Hermes Award and was recognized on Forrester’s 2021 list of the Top 100 Channel Podcasts and Feedspot’s Top 10 Telecom Podcasts list. If you enjoy the podcast, would you leave us a short review? It takes you seconds to do in your app and it really makes a difference in helping to convince hard-to-get guests. And I love reading your feedback and reviews!
- Executive Producer and Host: Danielle Royston, TelcoDR
- Senior Producer: Lindsay Grubb, TillCo Media
- Editor/Producer: Alisa Jenkins Wilson, Springboard Marketing
- Audio Editing: Andrew Condell
- Music: Dyami Wilson
More episodes from Telco in 20
Telco in 20: Episode 43 | Duration: 00:18:11
Telco’s Pinball Wizard: Neil McRae
BT Chief Architect Neil McRae talks about the company’s digital transformation and strategies for working with hyperscalers … and pinball, of course!
Telco in 20: Episode 42 | Duration: 00:22:45
Talking Telco with Google Cloud
Amol Phadke, Google Cloud’s MD & GM for the Global Telecom Industry, talks about what the hyperscaler is doing in the telco space.
Telco in 20: Episode 41 | Duration: 00:20:04
Telco Religious Wars: Charging Databases
When it comes to charging, the database you use is critical. Database expert Alex DeBrie talks about the pros and cons of database options.