A few years ago, when I was CEO of Optiva, I was alone in preaching the power of the public cloud for telco. But if there was anyone close to what I was talking about, it was MATRIXX Software, the start-up out of Silicon Valley. I was impressed that MATRIXX was at least somewhat aware of the cloud’s potential, so when I started this podcast, I knew I wanted to have them on the show.
MATRIXX and I have different perspectives on when and how to get to the public cloud – but we’re clearly on the same page when it comes to the critical role it’s going to play in telcos’ future. In this episode, MATRIXX CTO Marc Price joins me to talk about:
- Why 5G is the yellow brick road to the future of connected things [2:40];
- MATRIXX’s definition of “cloud native” (we agree to disagree) and the defining line between being “cloud native” and a “cloud tourist” (you know, doing cloud so wrong you stick out like a sore thumb) [3:58];
- The biggest advantages of designing your applications to run on the public cloud [7:24]; and
- Why customizations will be the death of vendors AND telcos – so stop doing it [19:35].
And don’t miss my Telco in 20 takeaway [23:30] to hear MY definition of cloud native and to accept my latest challenge – let’s coin a new term together! Check it out.
THIS WEEK’S GUEST
As Chief Technology Officer, Marc Price accelerates MATRIXX Software’s worldwide growth through key strategic initiatives. He works closely with executive leadership, engineering and product management teams to achieve industry-leading technology and spearhead engagement with key customers and partners. Prior to joining MATRIXX, Marc was CTO for the Americas with Openet. Marc is actively involved in open-source and standards initiatives. He is co-chair for the Cloud Native Verification and Compliance program in Linux Foundation Networking (CN OVP).
Listen to our conversation by clicking play above or subscribe through your favorite podcast feed.
- Download as an MP3 by right-clicking here and choosing “save as.”
- Listen on your favorite podcast platform – see the links above under the audio player.
- You can find the transcript for this episode here.
Links and Resources
- Check out my blog on why you should join hands with the hyperscalers and think twice before trying to build your own public cloud
- Read my Light Reading Article, Why do telco software companies have such lame valuations?, where I talk about how customizations bring down valuations of software companies
- Hear the backstory of the original format war: VHS vs. Beta on the Everything 80’s Podcast
- Learn the lingo:
- What is an ACID database?
- DM me on Twitter @TelcoDR with your ideas for what we call my definition of cloud native! Seriously!
- If you need name inspiration, watch the “Say My Name” clip from Breaking Bad
- Follow MATRIXX Software on Twitter @MATRIXX_SW
- Have an idea for a Telco in 20 podcast guest or topic? Send it in!
- Want to sponsor a podcast? Let us know
- Want to set up a meeting? Get in touch
- Follow Telco in 20 on Twitter @TelcoIn20
- Follow DR on Twitter @TelcoDR
If you enjoy the podcast, would you leave us a short review on your podcast feed? It takes you seconds to do in your app and it really makes a difference in helping to convince hard-to-get guests. And I love reading your feedback and reviews!
- Executive Producer and Host: Danielle Royston, TelcoDR
- Executive Producer: Kristin Donelson, OneLouder Marketing
- Senior Producer: Lindsay Grubb, TillCo Media
- Editor/Producer: Alisa Jenkins Wilson, Springboard Marketing
- Audio Editing: Andrew Condell
- Music: Dyami Wilson
More episodes from Telco in 20
Telco in 20: Episode 10 | Duration: 00:11:42
2021 Forecast: cloudy with a chance of OpenRAN
In this special episode, we take a look at 2020’s big headlines and trends to watch in the coming year. Tune in to find out who will be in the winner’s circle at the end of 2021.
Telco in 20: Episode 9 | Duration: 00:30:09
Microsoft’s Big Move
Microsoft wants to be THE hyperscaler for the telecom industry. Yousef Khalidi, corporate VP for Azure for Operators, shares exactly what Azure is up to and why telcos need to pay attention.
Telco in 20: Episode 8 | Duration: 00:23:07
The HR Series: Pair programming – the most powerful tool you’ve never used
The HR Series, Part 2: What has two heads, two keyboards and two monitors and can help you squash the competition? It’s time to adopt pair programming.