In 2020, CSG, a U.S-based publicly-traded software company, issued a press release that caught my eye. It announced CSG’s Ascendon Rating & Charging, a serverless, cloud-native, SaaS offering architected for AWS. With so many of the topics I talk about on the reg, I knew I had to have CSG on the show.
In this episode, the second in our Software Series, we talk with Jon Fagan, CSG’s Senior Principal Cloud Architect. As a leader in cloud migration and innovation, he’s had a front-row seat to the telecom industry’s journey to the public cloud. Jon talks with me about:
- What cloud native means to CSG [3:18];
- Why the shift to the public cloud is an all-encompassing, culture-changing event [4:54];
- Why CSG decided to partner with AWS for Ascendon Rating and Charging, while also remaining cloud agnostic [5:15];
- The tricky business of navigating the telecom industry’s love affair with customizations [10:32];
- How CSG tries to find a balance between staying nimble and innovative while being a trusted and responsive partner to telcos [15:07].
Listen to the end of the interview to learn something about Jon that clearly sets him apart from his public cloud peers and to hear my take on the misleading use of the term “SaaS” [16:31].
THIS WEEK’S GUEST
Jon Fagan is Senior Principal Cloud Architect at CSG where he is in charge of public cloud strategy, adoption and standards. He leads the Platform Management and Security teams in CSG’s next-generation platform, Ascendon, and has built CSG’s Public Cloud Practice from ground zero to a company-wide, innovative environment. His partnerships extend to the practitioners at AWS and Microsoft Azure, CSG’s customers, and leading industry experts. He has participated in “How to Adopt Cloud” sessions through multiple companies and industries.
Listen to our conversation by clicking play above or subscribe through your favorite podcast feed.
- Download as an MP3 by right-clicking here and choosing “save as.”
- Listen on your favorite podcast platform – see the links above under the audio player.
- You can find the transcript for this episode here.
Links and Resources
- Take a look at my blog post about why telcos need to stop customizing their software and move to multi-tenant SaaS
- Read CSG’s press release announcing Ascendon, CSG’s cloud-native rating and charging solution
- Check out what everyone had to say when I posted a tweet that said, “WTF is on-premise SaaS” about this Netcracker press release
- Read The New York Times 1996 review of Jon’s performance as Paris in America Ballet Theater’s Romeo and Juliet, and catch him in this video from a 1999 performance of Le Corsaire [0:51 and 7:30]. WOW!
- Have an idea for a Telco in 20 podcast guest or topic? Send it in!
- Want to sponsor a podcast? Let us know
- Sign up for the Telco in 20 email newsletter
- Follow Telco in 20 on Twitter @TelcoIn20
- Follow DR on Twitter @TelcoDR
If you enjoy the podcast, would you leave us a short review on your podcast feed? It takes you seconds to do in your app and it really makes a difference in helping to convince hard-to-get guests. And I love reading your feedback and reviews!
- Executive Producer and Host: Danielle Royston, TelcoDR
- Executive Producer: Kristin Donelson, OneLouder Marketing
- Senior Producer: Lindsay Grubb
- Editor/Producer: Alisa Jenkins Wilson, Springboard Marketing
- Audio Editing: Andrew Condell
- Music: Dyami Wilson
More episodes from Telco in 20
Telco in 20: Episode 12 | Duration: 00:22:24
Monetizing 5G and IoT
Telcos are making huge investments in 5G. Will ROI follow? Pete Bernard, Senior Director of Azure Edge Devices, Platforms and Services, talks about how 5G, IoT, AI and the edge can work together to help monetize the network.
Telco in 20: Episode 11 | Duration: 00:25:22
The Software Series: Matrixx
MATRIXX Software CTO Marc Price talks 5G, designing for the public cloud, and why customizations will be the death of vendors AND telcos.
Telco in 20: Episode 10 | Duration: 00:11:42
2021 Forecast: cloudy with a chance of OpenRAN
In this special episode, we take a look at 2020’s big headlines and trends to watch in the coming year. Tune in to find out who will be in the winner’s circle at the end of 2021.