Last week I took part in TelecomTV’s DSP Leaders World Forum in two ways: a panel and a talk, both available by registering here. I love the talk, so I’ve turned it into a podcast episode to share it with the world.
It starts with a killer David-and-Goliath business story: Siebel vs Salesforce. You may remember how Marc Benioff’s tiny, little challenger Saleforce toppled tech-giant Siebel with innovation and courage.
Marc’s big idea was that there should be a single CRM that customers would access through the internet – nothing would be installed on premise. When the industry started to become aware of Salesforce, the startup was called “an ant at the picnic.” It ran up against the same objections I hear from telco execs every day about why they can’t use the public cloud. Hit the play button to hear:
- The Siebel vs Salesforce story [2:20];
- The naysayers’ list of why Salesforce would never win [4:05];
- Why the naysayers were wrong [5:27];
- The truth about the customization trap [7:12]; and
- An introduction to webscale charging engine Totogi, and why it will change everything for Telco [10:00];
Intrigued? Curious? I hope so! Listen now.
Listen by clicking play above or subscribe through your favorite podcast feed.
- Download as an MP3 by right-clicking here and choosing “save as.”
- Listen on your favorite podcast platform – see the links above under the audio player.
- You can find the transcript for this episode here.
Links and Resources
- Check out the Totogi website
- Watch the video version of my DSP Leaders World Forum talk
- Read Bloomberg’s February 2000 article calling Salesforce “an ant at the picnic”
- This is a super cool TelecomTV page of my panels, talks, interviews and resources
- Get ready for MWC21:
- Check out my favorite GIF from the past week:
- Have an idea for a Telco in 20 podcast guest or topic? Send it in!
- Want to sponsor a podcast? Let us know
- Follow Telco in 20 on Twitter @TelcoIn20
- Follow DR on Twitter @TelcoDR
If you enjoy the podcast, would you leave us a short review on your podcast feed? It takes you seconds to do in your app and it really makes a difference in helping to convince hard-to-get guests. And I love reading your feedback and reviews!
- Executive Producer and Host: Danielle Royston, TelcoDR
- Executive Producer: Kristin Donelson, OneLouder Marketing
- Senior Producer: Lindsay Grubb
- Editor/Producer: Alisa Jenkins Wilson, Springboard Marketing
- Audio Editing: Andrew Condell
- Music: Dyami Wilson
More episodes from Telco in 20
Telco in 20: Episode 14 | Duration: 00:23:47
The Software Series: PortaOne
Andriy Zhylenko, CEO of PortaOne, talks about leading a pivot to the public cloud via Oracle Cloud.
Telco in 20: Episode 13 | Duration: 00:21:32
The Software Series: CSG
Jon Fagan, Senior Principal Cloud Architect at CSG, talks about what the billion-dollar company is doing with the public cloud.
Telco in 20: Episode 12 | Duration: 00:22:24
Monetizing 5G and IoT
Telcos are making huge investments in 5G. Will ROI follow? Pete Bernard, Senior Director of Azure Edge Devices, Platforms and Services, talks about how 5G, IoT, AI and the edge can work together to help monetize the network.