Last week I did a kickass talk and Q&A as part of Mobile World Live Themed Week. It was all about how telcos are network people, not customer people, and how that’s holding them back. For every tech company like Netflix or Uber that’s killing it when it comes to customer care, there’s a telco making subscribers cry their way through a crappy user experience.
This has gotta stop. It’s bad for customers and bad for the bottom line. And telcos, the secret to making subscribers love you is right in front of you. Your most valuable asset, your network, could help you deliver a personalized experience that will leave them with hearts dancing in their eyes – while your business enjoys 50%+ growth in ARPU.
I believe so strongly in this vision that I’ve turned my MWL talk into a podcast episode to share it with the world. (There’s also a link to the original video version below. You should totally watch the Q&A portion because it is FREAKING HILARIOUS. I like the part where I tell MWL publisher Justin Springham that people should throw away their Amdocs shit.) Listen now to hear:
- Why striving to be better than your competitors is a lousy barometer [4:16];
- What tech companies are doing right when it comes to customer love [5:27];
- How becoming customer-centric can double your ARPU – without doubling your CapEx [6:32]; and
- How a public cloud startup called Totogi can help [9:11].
Here’s a podcast episode we released a few months ago that introduced Totogi as “the new ant at the picnic.” Totogi is poised to help telcos leverage their network interactions to become truly customer-centric, and boost customer loyalty and revenue in the process. A few weeks from now, you’ll be able to see Totogi in action at MWC21.
Intrigued? Curious? I hope so! Listen now, and then book your flight to Barcelona so we can talk about all of this in person.
Listen to our conversation by clicking play above or subscribe through your favorite podcast feed.
- Download as an MP3 by right-clicking here and choosing “save as.”
- Listen on your favorite podcast platform – see the links above under the audio player.
- You can find the transcript for this episode here.
Links and Resources
- Watch the video version of my MWL talk and Q&A and definitely listen to the Q&A, it’s epically hilarious. I was in rare form that day. I’ve rewatched it 3x and keep laughing at my jokes. (Your own jokes are the funniest, as you well know!)
- Check out my DSP Leaders World Forum talk about webscale applications and Totogi
- Listen to Telco in 20 episode 15 about Totogi – “the new ant at the picnic”
- Take a look at the dumb Verizon ad I mention at the top of this episode
- Read about Grab’s $40B valuation
- Check out this Twitter thread from strategist Lillian Li about the secret sauce of super apps being the high frequency of user interactions per day
- Visit the Totogi website
- Get ready for MWC21:
- Have an idea for a Telco in 20 podcast guest or topic? Send it in!
- Want to sponsor a podcast? Let us know
- Follow Telco in 20 on Twitter @TelcoIn20
- Follow DR on Twitter @TelcoDR
The Telco in 20 podcast was recently recognized on Forrester’s 2021 list of the Top 100 Channel Podcasts! If you enjoy the podcast, would you leave us a short review? It takes you seconds to do in your app and it really makes a difference in helping to convince hard-to-get guests. And I love reading your feedback and reviews!
- Executive Producer and Host: Danielle Royston, TelcoDR
- Executive Producer: Kristin Donelson, OneLouder Marketing
- Senior Producer: Lindsay Grubb
- Editor/Producer: Alisa Jenkins Wilson, Springboard Marketing
- Audio Editing: Andrew Condell
- Music: Dyami Wilson
More episodes from Telco in 20
Telco in 20: Episode 18 | Duration: 00:27:16
Transformation leader Juha Korhonen shares his experience with the successful launch of Yaqoot, a digital mobile operator in the Middle East.
Telco in 20: Episode 17 | Duration: 00:20:21
LastMileXchange’s cloud-based access quoting solution shines a spotlight on how the public cloud can transform telecom.
Telco in 20: Episode 16 | Duration: 00:20:25
The rumors are true… Public cloud is taking center stage in Barcelona and TelcoDR is leading the way!