WE. DID. IT. As this podcast is hitting the feed, we’re about to take a victory lap after an eye-popping, jaw-dropping, mind-blowing Mobile World Congress 2021 (MWC21). Most of you know that in early March, I took over Ericsson’s 6,000 square meter booth at the event and created CLOUD CITY – a huge hub for all things public cloud. (If this is news to you, go check out episode 16, #SaveMWC). CLOUD CITY was an outta-the-park home run. In less than three months, we designed and delivered an unforgettable experience for both in-person and virtual attendees.
MWC asked me to deliver a keynote during the show, which I’ve turned into this podcast episode. The topic is the paradox of the public cloud for the telecom industry – the cloud presents massive opportunities for telcos, but it’s not completely risk-free. But it’s coming to telco, and telco leaders need to deal with it. Burying your head in the sand is NOT an option.
A few things you’ll find in this episode:
- I call myself the Elon Musk of telco and compare myself to Steve Jobs in the keynote, but hey, I’m not known for my modesty [2:30];
- How and why the telecom industry is poised to be the big winner in our post-pandemic workworld [6:22];
- What Rakuten, Vodafone, and DISH understand about the public cloud that most don’t [8:57];
- Why telco industry software needs to be completely rewritten for the public cloud [11:43];
- How the chore of collecting identity information is really the foundation for a HUGE strategic advantage [12:55]; and
- Why it’s time to start riding dragons.
Here’s the bottom line: the public cloud is coming to telco. It’s time to go ALL IN, use the public cloud the right way, and revitalize your telco. Let’s do it.
Listen to our conversation by clicking play above or subscribe through your favorite podcast feed.
- Download as an MP3 by right-clicking here and choosing “save as.”
- Listen on your favorite podcast platform – see the links above under the audio player.
- You can find the transcript for this episode here.
Links and Resources
- Watch my keynote on CLOUD CITY ON-DEMAND
- Check out my DSP Leaders World Forum talk about webscale applications and Totogi
- In early June, I took part in Mobile World Live Themed Week and talked about how telcos can double their ARPU by turning network interactions into customer love. Watch the session and live Q&A
- Visit the Totogi website – it officially launched at MWC21!
- Read about DISH plans to build a 5G network on AWS and have US cities live before the end of the year
- Check out Vodafone’s announcement that it’s building one of the world’s largest Open RAN networks
- Learn more about how Vodafone shifted its analytics practice to GCP in this case study on my website
- Read about MWC21 highlights on the MWC Barcelona website
- You didn’t think I’d forget dragons, did you? Here’s my favorite dragon moment from Game of Thrones.
Wanna talk public cloud? Telco execs, set up a meeting with our team to learn how to tap the immense business value it can bring.
- Have an idea for a Telco in 20 podcast guest or topic? Send it in!
- Want to sponsor a podcast? Let us know
- Follow Telco in 20 on Twitter @TelcoIn20
- Follow DR on Twitter @TelcoDR
The Telco in 20 podcast was recently recognized on Forrester’s 2021 list of the Top 100 Channel Podcasts! If you enjoy the podcast, would you leave us a short review? It takes you seconds to do in your app and it really makes a difference in helping to convince hard-to-get guests. And I love reading your feedback and reviews!
- Executive Producer and Host: Danielle Royston, TelcoDR
- Executive Producer: Kristin Donelson, OneLouder Marketing
- Senior Producer: Lindsay Grubb
- Editor/Producer: Alisa Jenkins Wilson, Springboard Marketing
- Audio Editing: Andrew Condell
- Music: Dyami Wilson
More episodes from Telco in 20
Telco in 20: Episode 19 | Duration: 00:16:07
Double your ARPU with Customer Love
Switching from being network-centric to customer-centric is not only necessary, but also the best thing you’ll ever do for your bottom line.
Telco in 20: Episode 18 | Duration: 00:27:16
Transformation leader Juha Korhonen shares his experience with the successful launch of Yaqoot, a digital mobile operator in the Middle East.
Telco in 20: Episode 17 | Duration: 00:20:21
LastMileXchange’s cloud-based access quoting solution shines a spotlight on how the public cloud can transform telecom.