You know that feeling when you’ve had so little sleep that you’re giddy? I’ve been that way for 105 days. That’s how long my team and I had to create CLOUD CITY, the belle of the MWC21 ball. Every dream I had for the space back in March came true this week. What made CLOUD CITY so great? I don’t even know where to start. Our CLOUD CITY LIVE educational programming was some of the best at the event. Cloud-native startup Totogi launched from our booth. The software vendors who joined us raved about the connections they made on the floor. Our telepresence robots brought virtual attendees into our booth to watch demos and share in the excitement. Our CLOUD CITY UNPLUGGED concerts were the talk of the industry. And all of this happened inside one of the most beautiful installations I’ve ever seen.
After the closing bell rang, I made my way to our yacht in Barcelona’s harbor, picked up a glass of champagne, and got on Google Chat with my friend David Haselwood. Regular listeners will remember that he helped me kickoff preparations for MWC21 on episode 16 way back in March. Hit the play button to hear:
- What the crowd looked like and who actually made it to MWC21 in person [03:59];
- How we shifted the spotlight to the public cloud for telco for the first time in MWC history [5:00];
- How our openness to collaboration spawned an army of cloud evangelists [08:03]; and
- What’s in store for MWC22 [12:21].
We did it. We went all-in on MWC21 and achieved more than we dreamed possible. And that’s exactly what you’ll do when you go all-in on the public cloud.
Listen to our conversation by clicking play above or subscribe through your favorite podcast feed.
- Download as an MP3 by right-clicking here and choosing “save as.”
- Listen on your favorite podcast platform – see the links above under the audio player.
- You can find the transcript for this episode here.
Links and Resources
- Check out this highlight reel from MWC21 – it was EPIC!
- Watch my keynote on CLOUD CITY ON-DEMAND, or listen to the podcast version of it here.
- Listen to my March 2021 conversation with David Haselwood in episode 16 of Telco in 20, #SaveMWC
- Check out all of our MWC keynotes, interviews, demos, and panel discussions on CLOUD CITY ON-DEMAND
- Visit the Totogi website – it officially launched at CLOUD CITY!
- Read industry coverage of CLOUD CITY from Fierce Telecom, Light Reading, and RCR Wireless News. RCR Wireless News also included this video interview.
- Read about MWC21 highlights on the MWC Barcelona website
- My kids barely saw me over the last four months. Remember that movie, Bad Moms?
- When I went all-in on MWC21, I was just like Reese Witherspoon in Legally Blonde – “What, like it’s hard?” – and by the end of the event I sounded just like her at 1:40 in this video
Wanna talk public cloud? Telco execs, set up a meeting with our team to learn how to tap the immense business value it can bring.
- Have an idea for a Telco in 20 podcast guest or topic? Send it in!
- Want to sponsor a podcast? Let us know
- Follow Telco in 20 on Twitter @TelcoIn20
- Follow DR on Twitter @TelcoDR
The Telco in 20 podcast was recently recognized on Forrester’s 2021 list of the Top 100 Channel Podcasts! If you enjoy the podcast, would you leave us a short review? It takes you seconds to do in your app and it really makes a difference in helping to convince hard-to-get guests. And I love reading your feedback and reviews!
- Executive Producer and Host: Danielle Royston, TelcoDR
- Executive Producer: Kristin Donelson, OneLouder Marketing
- Senior Producer: Lindsay Grubb, TillCo Media
- Editor/Producer: Alisa Jenkins Wilson, Springboard Marketing
- Audio Editing: Andrew Condell
- Music: Dyami Wilson
More episodes from Telco in 20
Telco in 20: Episode 20 | Duration: 00:17:08
The paradox of the public cloud
LastMileXchange’s cloud-based access quoting solution shines a spotlight on how the public cloud can transform telecom.
Telco in 20: Episode 19 | Duration: 00:16:07
Double your ARPU with Customer Love
Switching from being network-centric to customer-centric is not only necessary, but also the best thing you’ll ever do for your bottom line.
Telco in 20: Episode 18 | Duration: 00:27:16
Transformation leader Juha Korhonen shares his experience with the successful launch of Yaqoot, a digital mobile operator in the Middle East.