You know, you can find a lot of stuff on the internet. A few months ago I came across a piece from mediation vendor Digital Route about how the company was moving its Mediation Zone product onto AWS. Digital Route has a great reputation, so I immediately wanted to understand what it was doing and how it was doing it.
My guest today, Jonas Wallenius, is strategic product manager at Digital Route. He has a front row seat to the telecom industry’s journey to the public cloud. He sees the shift happening, with nimble startups going all-in and Tier 1s struggling to find a way to move legacy apps bogged down with layers of customization.
Check out our conversation about:
- The work Digital Route is doing with DISH to monetize 5G services [02:35];
- How the company moved its Mediation Zone product onto AWS [4:58];
- The business reality of meeting telcos wherever they are on their cloud journey [05:50];
- The cost savings, innovation, and customer care advantages that come with designing products that are truly elastic [12:26]; and
- The next big wave of technical innovation. (Meet me in the metaverse, anyone?) [18:03]
THIS WEEK’S GUEST
Jonas Wallenius works as Strategic Product Manager at DigitalRoute. He is responsible for long-term planning, innovation and trend analysis. He has been an advocate of public cloud for telcos since 2014. His current focus is bringing telcos, hyperscalers and enterprises together in usage-based business models. He is also a sustainability advocate, advising green fintech startups, and a co-organizer of Stockholm’s biggest blockchain meetup, Decentralized Camp.
Listen to our conversation by clicking play above or subscribe through your favorite podcast feed.
- Download as an MP3 by right-clicking here and choosing “save as.”
- Listen on your favorite podcast platform – see the links above under the audio player.
- You can find the transcript for this episode here.
Links and Resources
- Check out this AWS whitepaper from Digital Route
- Visit the Digital Route website
- Get your mind blown with these books from Neal Stephenson:
- The New York Times is talking about the metaverse, too! Take a look at this July 2021 article, Are We in the Metaverse Yet?
- Check out digital fashion house, The Fabricant
- Read about Outlier Ventures’ metaverse operating system
Wanna talk public cloud? Telco execs, set up a meeting with our team to learn how to tap the immense business value it can bring.
- Have an idea for a Telco in 20 podcast guest or topic? Send it in!
- Want to sponsor a podcast? Let us know
- Follow Telco in 20 on Twitter @TelcoIn20
- Follow DR on Twitter @TelcoDR
The Telco in 20 podcast was recently recognized on Forrester’s 2021 list of the Top 100 Channel Podcasts! If you enjoy the podcast, would you leave us a short review? It takes you seconds to do in your app and it really makes a difference in helping to convince hard-to-get guests. And I love reading your feedback and reviews!
- Executive Producer and Host: Danielle Royston, TelcoDR
- Executive Producer: Kristin Donelson, OneLouder Marketing
- Senior Producer: Lindsay Grubb, TillCo Media
- Editor/Producer: Alisa Jenkins Wilson, Springboard Marketing
- Audio Editing: Andrew Condell
- Music: Dyami Wilson
More episodes from Telco in 20
Telco in 20: Episode 21 | Duration: 00:17:51
How we rocked MWC21
CLOUD CITY shifted the spotlight to the public cloud for telco for the first time in MWC history.
Telco in 20: Episode 20 | Duration: 00:17:08
The paradox of the public cloud
LastMileXchange’s cloud-based access quoting solution shines a spotlight on how the public cloud can transform telecom.
Telco in 20: Episode 19 | Duration: 00:16:07
Double your ARPU with Customer Love
Switching from being network-centric to customer-centric is not only necessary, but also the best thing you’ll ever do for your bottom line.