I recently made a quick trip across the pond to London where I met with dozens of people from the world of public cloud and telco. One of the people I met with was Mats Granryd from GSMA, in the gorgeous setting of The Shard in the center of London.
I first met Mats in Barcelona during MWC 21. He asked me some great questions about the public cloud, so I decided we should switch roles for this conversation. In this episode, Mats asks me about cloud security, data regulations, the future of the public cloud in telco, and more.
Here’s a short video clip from our conversation. Check out that view from The Shard!
THIS WEEK’S GUEST
As Director General, Mats Granryd leads the GSMA in supporting its global membership through a range of industry programs, advocacy initiatives, and industry-convening events. He is a strong proponent of sustainability and led the mobile industry in becoming the first sector to broadly commit to the United Nations Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs) in 2016. Prior to joining the GSMA in 2016, Mats was President and CEO of Tele2 and also spent 15 years in a variety of roles at Ericsson.
Hit the play button to hear us talk about:
- The differences between public, multi, hybrid, and (grrrr) #FAKECloud [05:02];
- What’s happening with Gaia-X and the truth about the hyperscalers, data regulations, and security [09:43];
- How to start working with hyperscalers even if you’re in a location that’s remote and/or has strict data regulations [16:01];
- Examples of telcos at the forefront of the shift to the public cloud [18:21].
Listen to our conversation by clicking play above or subscribe through your favorite podcast feed.
- Download as an MP3 by right-clicking here and choosing “save as.”
- Listen on your favorite podcast platform – see the links above under the audio player.
- You can find the transcript for this episode here.
Links and Resources
- Listen to my MWC21 Keynote, The Paradox of the Public Cloud
- Read these great articles and case studies about forward-thinking telcos embracing the public cloud:
- If you want to hear the argument against multicloud – read THIS.
- Check out my blog, DISH 7 AWS vs. 1&1 & Rakuten: two different approaches to new networks
- Listen to podcast episode 19, Double your ARPU with Customer Love
- Visit the Totogi website
- Need some motivation for moving to the public cloud? Then listen to Olympian swimmer Michael Phelps talk about No Days Off
- After we stopped recording, I found out that Mats is a TENNIS PLAYER! Who’s in for doubles in Barcelona at #MWC22? Send me a DM on Twitter @TelcoDR!
- Meet me at #MWCLA21! DM @TelcoDR on Twitter
Wanna talk public cloud? Telco execs, set up a meeting with our team to learn how to tap the immense business value it can bring.
- Have an idea for a Telco in 20 podcast guest or topic? Send it in!
- Want to sponsor a podcast? Let us know
- Follow Telco in 20 on Twitter @TelcoIn20
- Follow DR on Twitter @TelcoDR
The Telco in 20 podcast was recognized on Forrester’s 2021 list of the Top 100 Channel Podcasts and Feedspot’s Top 10 Telecom Podcasts list. If you enjoy the podcast, would you leave us a short review? It takes you seconds to do in your app and it really makes a difference in helping to convince hard-to-get guests. And I love reading your feedback and reviews!
- Executive Producer and Host: Danielle Royston, TelcoDR
- Executive Producer: Kristin Donelson, OneLouder Marketing
- Senior Producer: Lindsay Grubb, TillCo Media
- Editor/Producer: Alisa Jenkins Wilson, Springboard Marketing
- Audio Editing: Andrew Condell
- Music: Dyami Wilson
More episodes from Telco in 20
Telco in 20: Episode 27 | Duration: 01:21:49
Talking public cloud with Telecoms.com
Telco in 20 sits down with Scott Bicheno and Iain Morris of the Telecoms.com podcast to have an awesome conversation about the public cloud and telco.
Telco in 20: Episode 26 | Duration: 00:16:33
Avoid vendor lock-in with TM Forum Open APIs
TM Forum’s Open APIs are giving telcos a way to build IT solutions that are easier and cheaper to deploy, integrate, and upgrade. It’s time to change your thinking about the best way to build applications.
Telco in 20: Episode 25 | Duration: 00:21:15
Get ready to use the public cloud… in Afghanistan
Former Roshan CFO Imtiaz Esmail and his team refused to be sidelined by two devastating attacks on the Afghan telecom. Instead, they guided the company through a successful digital transformation.