We’ve seen a lot of movement toward the public cloud by CSPs based in the United States. One of the first ones to do so was Verizon, which set a plan for its cloud journey back in 2016. Since then, the company has made steady progress, culminating in its recent iconic launch of the Apple iPhone 13, which Verizon ran 100% on the public cloud.
Today’s guest, Nanda Kumar, executive director of cloud engineering at Verizon, has helped pilot the company’s digital transformation. He sat down with us to talk about:
- How Verizon’s cloud plans evolved to encompass efficiency, speed, and innovation (ESI) [2:07];
- How you need to change the culture, not just the technology, and how Verizon rolled out its ESI initiative [6:04];
- The importance of bringing the finance team along on the cloud journey, and tips for doing it right [10:32];
- How the Stanley Cup helps Verizon build internal skills and excitement about its cloud future [14:45].
THIS WEEK’S GUEST
With nearly 20 years of experience in technology strategy and innovation for large corporations, Nanda Kumar is an executive director whose primary focus is global technology transformation initiatives and strategic solutions. Nanda oversees a major modernization program supporting Verizon’s IT transformation strategy that involves building and running scalable applications in modern, dynamic environments. As a leader on the front line of Verizon’s journey to the cloud, Nanda remains committed to implementing advanced technologies and immersing them into the enterprise to drive significant benefit to the business and strengthen revenue, profit, and competitive advantage.
Listen to our conversation by clicking play above or subscribe through your favorite podcast feed.
- Download as an MP3 by right-clicking here and choosing “save as.”
- Listen on your favorite podcast platform – see the links above under the audio player.
- You can find the transcript for this episode here.
Links and Resources
- Learn how to shave 20% on your AWS bills in minutes with CloudFix.
- Read about three big cloud deals in telco that happened earlier this year, and 15 examples of cloud moves that telecoms had in the works at the beginning of 2021.
- Check out this blog by @CloudPundit Lydia Leong, which underscores the importance of optimizing cloud costs.
- Read this piece from TM Forum on how BT, M1 and Verizon are approaching cloud native IT operations
- Watch the top 10 greatest NHL Stanley Cup raises of all time.
- Ready for the avalanche of change that the cloud is bringing to telco? Check out this video of an Alaskan avalanche.
Wanna talk public cloud? Telco execs, set up a meeting with our team to learn how to tap the immense business value it can bring.
- Have an idea for a Telco in 20 podcast guest or topic? Send it in!
- Want to sponsor a podcast? Let us know
- Follow Telco in 20 on Twitter @TelcoIn20
- Follow DR on Twitter @TelcoDR
The Telco in 20 podcast was recognized on Forrester’s 2021 list of the Top 100 Channel Podcasts and Feedspot’s Top 10 Telecom Podcasts list. If you enjoy the podcast, would you leave us a short review? It takes you seconds to do in your app and it really makes a difference in helping to convince hard-to-get guests. And I love reading your feedback and reviews!
- Executive Producer and Host: Danielle Royston, TelcoDR
- Executive Producer: Kristin Donelson, OneLouder Marketing
- Senior Producer: Lindsay Grubb
- Editor/Producer: Alisa Jenkins Wilson, Springboard Marketing
- Audio Editing: Andrew Condell
- Music: Dyami Wilson
More episodes from Telco in 20
Telco in 20: Episode 30 | Duration: 01:21:49
What’s up with Totogi? Achieving Feature Velocity with the Totogi APIs
Totogi APIs can help CSPs bring new features to market fast, and boost customer satisfaction and ARPU in the process.
Telco in 20: Episode 29 | Duration: 00:28:02
Telco in 20’s Best of 2021
In our most popular episode from 2021, transformation leader Juha Korhonen shares his experience with the successful launch of Yaqoot, a digital mobile operator in the Middle East.
Telco in 20: Episode 28 | Duration: 00:27:11
Talking public cloud with GSMA
Telco in 20 sits down with Mats Granryd, Director General for GSMA, to talk about the future of the public cloud and telco.