The hyperscalers make thousands of product and service announcements each year. (Yes, THOUSANDS! We looked it up.) It’s almost impossible to keep up, much less pinpoint the ones that can help your workloads run more efficiently and reduce cloud costs. Fortunately, there are resources out there that can help.
In this episode, I talk with Michael Kearns, founder and CEO of Virtasant, a company that specializes in hacking cloud costs. His team helps businesses save millions and millions of dollars by optimizing their cloud spend.
Listen to our conversation about:
- Why the increased pace of innovation that the public cloud makes possible is a double-edged sword [03:46];
- How understanding an organization as a whole is critical to controlling cloud costs [05:56];
- Why Virtasant chooses to be different by offering a pay-by-results pricing model [10:00];
- The biggest mistakes companies make with their cloud environments [11:39];
- How many billions of dollars in potential savings are waiting in the wings [16:05].
THIS WEEK’S GUEST
Michael has built and led many high-growth businesses, including Virtasant, Toptal Enterprise, and Slalom. He has also served in executive roles at ThoughtWorks and Accenture. He earned his undergraduate degree from the University of Michigan and his MBA from the University of Colorado Leeds School of Business. Much of his time is spent finding new ways to distribute opportunity more evenly throughout the world and unlocking the potential and power of geographically distributed teams.
Listen to our conversation by clicking play above or subscribe through your favorite podcast feed.
- Download as an MP3 by right-clicking here and choosing “save as.”
- Listen on your favorite podcast platform — see the links above under the audio player.
- You can find the transcript for this episode here.
Links and Resources
- Read more about Virtasant and follow Virtasant on Twitter
- Read my blog about how to keep cloud costs under control, or reel them back in if they get away from you
- Listen to episode 31 of Telco in 20 with Verizon’s Nanda Kumar. Check out the 8-minute mark to hear our conversation about how the public cloud shifts the buying power in an organization, and how to work with the finance team to manage cloud costs.
- Check out The Keys to AWS Optimization with Jeff Barr
- Take a look at the 2021 archive of AWS product and service announcements – all 2,080 of them!
- Also interested in body hacks? Check out Levels, the continuous glucose monitoring system
- Moving to the public cloud can feel like a money pit, but it shouldn’t. Here’s a “behind the scenes” video of the 1987 movie The Money Pit to make you laugh, and if you feel like you’re identifying with it a little too much, give me a call and I’ll get your spend pointed in the right direction.
Wanna talk public cloud? Telco execs, connect with the TelcoDR team to learn how to tap the immense business value it can bring.
- Have an idea for a Telco in 20 podcast guest or topic? Send it in!
- Want to sponsor a podcast? Let us know
- Follow Telco in 20 on Twitter @TelcoIn20
- Follow DR on Twitter @TelcoDR
The Telco in 20 podcast was recognized on Forrester’s 2021 list of the Top 100 Channel Podcasts! and Feedspot’s Top 10 Telecom Podcasts list. If you enjoy the podcast, would you leave us a short review? It takes you seconds to do in your app and it really makes a difference in helping to convince hard-to-get guests. And I love reading your feedback and reviews!
- Executive Producer and Host: Danielle Royston, TelcoDR
- Senior Producer: Lindsay Grubb, TillCo Media
- Editor/Producer: Alisa Jenkins Wilson, Springboard Marketing
- Audio Editing: Andrew Condell
- Music: Dyami Wilson
More episodes from Telco in 20
Telco in 20: Episode 38 | Duration: 00:18:05
What’s Up with Totogi? The Future of Charging
Nothing new has happened in charging in decades – until now. Find out why Totogi’s API-based, pay-by-the-use system is a game changer for telcos.
Telco in 20: Episode 37 | Duration: 00:22:01
A Chat with AWS about the Future of Telco Tech
I had a great conversation with Claus Verner from AWS at MWC22. We talk about how the public cloud is helping to build innovative telco software companies, the launch of TelcoDR, and more.
Telco in 20: Episode 36 | Duration: 00:13:56
The Public Cloud is NOW
Listen to the most exciting talk from MWC 2022 to learn how to turn the public cloud into a competitive advantage.