I started this podcast in 2020 to talk about how the telco industry needed to move to the public cloud. Two years later, the conversation has totally changed. New telco–hyperscaler partnerships are announced every week, and now I get to dig into how telcos are moving to the public cloud. And as part of that, I’m reviving my conversations with the BFCs.
Today, I’m checking in with Google Cloud. Amol Phadke, the hyperscaler’s MD & GM for the Global Telecom Industry, joins me to talk about what it’s doing in the telco space and how it benefits telecoms. Listen now to hear about:
- The awesome business results Google Cloud and Vodafone are achieving through their strategic partnership [01:59];
- The latest on Google Distributed Cloud, and the recently announced general availability of GDC Edge [08:05];
- Why carriers are so excited about Google Cloud’s Nephio project [12:20]; and
- What sets Google Cloud apart from other hyperscalers, and how that benefits telcos [14:42]
THIS WEEK’S GUEST
Amol Phadke is MD & GM for the Global Communications Service Provider Industry vertical at Google Cloud. He is responsible across the vertical for Strategy, Product, Engineering, Solutions and Go-To-Market (GTM), working with C-suite customers to help transform their businesses using Google Cloud. Amol is also responsible for building a strong global ecosystem of partners and bringing the power of Google and Alphabet to Google Cloud’s CSP customers to accelerate their growth and competitiveness.
Listen to our conversation by clicking play above or subscribe through your favorite podcast feed.
- Download as an MP3 by right-clicking here and choosing “save as.”
- Listen on your favorite podcast platform – see the links above under the audio player.
- You can find the transcript for this episode here.
Links and Resources
- Download our white paper to see how much Vodafone saved by moving its analytics to the public cloud
- Read more about Google Distributed Cloud
- Read about the launch of Project Nephio and visit the Nephio website
- Learn more about the Vodafone, Cardinality.io and Google Cloud collaboration to build a pan-European network platform
- Check out Amol’s book, The Future Home in the 5G Era: Next Generation Strategies for Hyper-connected Living
- Vodafone started with Google Cloud by consolidating and moving its data to the cloud. Now it’s getting more value with insights from its data. The first step was a snowball, and now it’s created an avalanche of powerful business actions. Check out this cool video of an Alaskan avalanche to show you how powerful avalanches can be.
Wanna talk public cloud? Telco execs, set up a meeting with our team to learn how to tap the immense business value it can bring.
- Have an idea for a Telco in 20 podcast guest or topic? Send it in!
- Want to sponsor a podcast? Let us know
- Follow Telco in 20 on Twitter @TelcoIn20
- Follow DR on Twitter @TelcoDR
The Telco in 20 podcast won a 2022 Gold Hermes Award and was recognized on Forrester’s 2021 list of the Top 100 Channel Podcasts and Feedspot’s Top 10 Telecom Podcasts list. If you enjoy the podcast, would you leave us a short review? It takes you seconds to do in your app and it really makes a difference in helping to convince hard-to-get guests. And I love reading your feedback and reviews!
- Executive Producer and Host: Danielle Royston, TelcoDR
- Senior Producer: Lindsay Grubb, TillCo Media
- Editor/Producer: Alisa Jenkins Wilson, Springboard Marketing
- Audio Editing: Andrew Condell
- Music: Dyami Wilson
More episodes from Telco in 20
Telco in 20: Episode 41 | Duration: 00:20:04
Telco Religious Wars: Charging Databases
When it comes to charging, the database you use is critical. Database expert Alex DeBrie talks about the pros and cons of database options.
Telco in 20: Episode 40 | Duration: 00:22:33
New ways to build your future-ready workforce
Telcos need to hire a gazillion people with cloud skills. How can CSPs cultivate the talented teams they need? Good news – there are new workforce management strategies and AI tools that can help.
Telco in 20: Episode 39 | Duration: 00:20:33
Hacking Cloud Costs
A cottage industry has popped up to help companies optimize their cloud environment and spending. Find out what you can do to hack cloud costs.