Ok, telcos – let’s get to the cloud! This is the first in my three-part series, The Big Effing Clouds, or BFCs for short. I’m talking to Azure, GCP and AWS, and I’m going to help you figure out which one is right for you.
In this episode, I sit down with Rick Lievano, Worldwide Director of Technology Strategy at Microsoft, who builds a GREAT case for why Azure should be telecom’s cloud platform of choice. In case you haven’t heard, Microsoft’s Azure for Operators is calling the ball and building the carrier-grade cloud [05:45].
Tune in to hear Rick talk about the steps Microsoft has taken to build telco muscle [06:15], the results of a super-cool experiment with underwater data centers [11:54], and an in-depth look at Azure Cognitive Services, which uses AI and ML to understand and speak spoken language (CX boost, anyone?) [08:55]. Other good reasons to give Azure a close look:
- Azure Communication Services, which allow developers to add rich communication capabilities with simple APIs [03:19];
- Azure Orbital to speed data processing and deliver instant analytics [03:41]; and
- Drag and drop building blocks to help telcos reduce costs and boost revenue [04:44].
And did you know Microsoft signed one of the biggest, highest profile public cloud deals with the U.S. Department of Defense (DoD)’s JEDI contract? If you’re worried about security and the public cloud, this should put you at ease.[13:36].
ABOUT RICK LIEVANO
Rick Lievano is the Worldwide Director of Technology Strategy for the Microsoft Telecommunications industry. Rick works with customers and partners in developing telecommunications industry solutions and reference architectures to address the rapidly changing needs of service providers across the globe.
Listen to our conversation by clicking play above or subscribe through your favorite podcast feed.
- Download as an MP3 by right-clicking here and choosing “save as.”
- Listen on your favorite podcast platform – see the links above under the audio player.
- You can find the transcript for this episode here.
Links and Resources
- Download my guide, Time to go to the public cloud! The essential steps for cloud success
- Recommended Reading:
- Read Microsoft telecom customer stories
- Follow @MSFTTelco on Twitter
- Read about Microsoft telecommunications industry offerings
- Read about Project Natick, Microsoft’s underwater data center research project
- Have an idea for a Telco in 20 podcast guest or topic? Send it in!
- Want to set up a meeting? Get in touch
- Follow on Twitter @TelcoDR
If you enjoy the podcast, would you consider leaving a short review on Apple Podcasts/iTunes? It takes you seconds to do in your app and it really makes a difference in helping to convince hard-to-get guests. And I love reading your feedback and reviews!
- Executive Producer and Host: Danielle Royston, TelcoDR
- Executive Producer: Kristin Donelson, OneLouder Marketing
- Senior Producer: Lindsay Grubb
- Editor/Producer: Alisa Jenkins Wilson, Springboard Marketing
- Audio Capture: Aaron Joslow, Rally Point Webinars
- Audio Editing: Andrew Condell
More episodes from Telco in 20
Telco in 20: Episode 4 | Duration: 00:16:03
Lift Off: Right-size your public cloud spending
Lift Off, Part 3: Find out how telcos can control public cloud spending and avoid leaving money on the table. Featuring cloud economist and snark-master Corey Quinn.
Telco in 20: Episode 3 | Duration: 00:16:00
Lift Off: Telcos moving to the public cloud – beware of lift and shift
Lift Off, Part 2: Find out the key elements of a successful public cloud lift and shift strategy and when a poor migration plan will start to hurt, and why.
Telco in 20: Episode 2 | Duration: 00:16:17
Lift Off: Taking the first step
Lift Off, Part 1: The public cloud is central to the telecommunication industry’s evolution. Learn about steps that smooth the transition.