This is the second episode in my Big Effing Clouds – or BFC – series. I’m taking a look at the big-three cloud vendors – Microsoft Azure, Google Cloud Platform and AWS. They all think they deserve telcos’ business, and they’ve spent billions on their solutions. But when you’re sitting on the other side of a sales pitch, it can be super hard to know which one to choose. That’s what this series is all about – helping you figure out which is the best fit.
In this episode, I sit down with Neil Bunn, Head of Customer Engineering, Media and Telco, for Google Cloud Canada. I’m known for being a Google Girl because, frankly, you never forget your first cloud. Neil’s going to tell us how Google’s Contact Center AI (CCAI) is helping telcos take customer care anywhere, across devices and platforms (and let’s be honest, name one telco that doesn’t need better CX!) [03:15]. He also offers an unexpected reason why Google should be at the top of telcos’ list (hint: think, Anthos) [05:00].
We’ll also dig into headlines from this year’s Google Cloud Next, including news about Big Query Omni and Spanner [05:38], as well as Google’s super cool Confidential VMs, which should prick up the ears of anyone concerned with data privacy [7:29].
We’ll finish up our conversation with a few telco customer success stories and a look at not-to-be-missed innovations on the horizon. [10:28]. Hopefully, you’re arriving here after listening to my conversation with Rick Lievano from Microsoft Azure. If not, check it out when you finish this one.
ABOUT NEIL BUNN
Neil Bunn leads Enterprise Customer Engineering in Canada for Google Cloud’s intense focus on major Telco clients. He is a certified professional engineer with a degree in Electrical and Computer Engineering from Queen’s University. He is a patented inventor in the area of large scale systems management. Neil started his career designing and building large scale distributed systems at IBM, including responsibility for supercomputers focused on major health and climate issues.
Listen to our conversation by clicking play above or subscribe through your favorite podcast feed.
- Download as an MP3 by right-clicking here and choosing “save as.”
- Listen on your favorite podcast platform – see the links above under the audio player.
- You can find the transcript for this episode here
Links and Resources
- Download my guide, Time to go to the public cloud! The essential steps for CLOUD success
- Google Cloud Next On Air 2020: Check out the Application Modernization series and search for these sessions (registration required):
- Anthos Deep Dives Part 1 and Part 2, plus a session on Accelerating Application Development with Anthos
- Analytics in a Multi-Cloud World with BigQuery Omni
- Confidential Computing: The Next Frontier in Data Protection
- Listen to Google Cloud CEO Thomas Kurian and Verizon SVP/CIO Shankar Arumugavelu discuss Verizon’s pilot of Google Cloud Contact Center AI
- Check out my article in Fast Company about the future of remote work and how to make the most of it
- Have an idea for a Telco in 20 podcast guest or topic? Send it in!
- Want to set up a meeting? Get in touch
- Follow on Twitter @TelcoDR
If you enjoy the podcast, would you consider leaving a short review on your podcast feed? It takes you seconds to do in your app and it really makes a difference in helping to convince hard-to-get guests. And I love reading your feedback and reviews!
- Executive Producer and Host: Danielle Royston, TelcoDR
- Executive Producer: Kristin Donelson, OneLouder Marketing
- Senior Producer: Lindsay Grubb, TillCo Media
- Editor/Producer: Alisa Jenkins Wilson, Springboard Marketing
- Audio Capture: Aaron Joslow, Rally Point Webinars
- Audio Editing: Andrew Condell
- Music: Dyami Wilson
More episodes from Telco in 20
Telco in 20: Episode 5 | Duration: 00:18:43
The BFCs: Putting Microsoft Azure to the test for telcos
The BFCs, Part 1: Rick Lievano, Worldwide Director of Technology Strategy at Microsoft, builds a good case for why Azure should be telecom’s cloud platform of choice, not the least of which is Azure for Operators – a game changer in the quest for carrier-grade cloud.
Telco in 20: Episode 4 | Duration: 00:16:03
Lift Off: Right-size your public cloud spending
Lift Off, Part 3: Find out how telcos can control public cloud spending and avoid leaving money on the table. Featuring cloud economist and snark-master Corey Quinn.
Telco in 20: Episode 3 | Duration: 00:16:00
Lift Off: Telcos moving to the public cloud – beware of lift and shift
Lift Off, Part 2: Find out the key elements of a successful public cloud lift and shift strategy and when a poor migration plan will start to hurt, and why.