While I typically tackle all things telco and public cloud in my podcast, this first episode kicks off with what may be the most important topic – transformational leadership.
The telco industry is in desperate need of transformational leaders with the courage and know-how to drive change. My guest today, Jim Abolt, knows more about leadership and accountability than anyone I know. Listen to our conversation to learn about the qualities that set these special leaders apart [9:25] and why it takes big changes to big things to succeed [8:58]. Telco exec, be sure to check out my leadership book giveaway at the end of the episode [14:14].
Listen to our conversation by clicking play above or subscribe through your favorite podcast feed.
THIS WEEK’S GUEST
Jim Abolt is a senior HR professional and leadership guru. He’s widely regarded as an expert in leadership development, culture shaping, and large-scale organizational change. Throughout his career, he has played key roles in helping multimillion-dollar companies with global growth, merger and acquisition integration, and succession planning.
- Download as an MP3 by right-clicking here and choosing “save as.”
- Listen to this episode on your favorite podcast platform by choosing a link under the audio player above.
- You can find the transcript of this episode here.
- After you listen to this episode, check out the first episode in my three-part series Liftoff to hear cloud evangelist Troy O’Brien’s advice on starting your move to the public cloud.
- Recommended Reading: Execution, The Discipline of Getting Things Done, by Larry Bossidy
- This super old 1998 article from Fast Company offers a behind-the-scenes look at Trilogy Software, where I worked with our guest, Jim Abolt, from 1995-2005.
- An example of what Jim refers to as “insanity incarnate” – a video about Trilogy and my life there when I was 29 – right before I met Jim.
- Have an idea for a Telco in 20 podcast guest or topic? Send it in!
- Want to set up a meeting? Get in touch
- Follow on Twitter @TelcoDR
If you enjoy the podcast, would you consider leaving a short review on Apple Podcasts/iTunes? It takes you seconds to do in your app and it really makes a difference in helping to convince hard-to-get guests. And I love reading your feedback and reviews!
- Executive Producer and Host: Danielle Royston, TelcoDR
- Executive Producer: Kristin Donelson, OneLouder Marketing
- Senior Producer: Lindsay Grubb, TillCo Media
- Editor/Producer: Alisa Jenkins Wilson, Springboard Marketing
- Audio/Editor: Aaron Joslow, Rally Point Webinars
- Design/Branding: The Honor Roll
More episodes from Telco in 20
Telco in 20: Episode 4 | Duration: 00:16:03
Lift Off: Right-size your public cloud spending
Lift Off, Part 3: Find out how telcos can control public cloud spending and avoid leaving money on the table.
Telco in 20: Episode 3 | Duration: 00:16:00
Lift Off: Telcos moving to the public cloud – beware of lift and shift
Lift Off, Part 2: Find out the key elements of a successful public cloud lift and shift strategy and when a poor migration plan will start to hurt, and why.
Telco in 20: Episode 2 | Duration: 00:16:17
Lift Off: Taking the first step
Lift Off, Part 1: The public cloud is central to the telecommunication industry’s evolution. Learn about steps that smooth the transition.