This week’s guest
Senior Principal Cloud Architect
In 2020, CSG, a U.S-based publicly-traded software company, issued a press release that caught my eye. It announced CSG’s Ascendon Rating & Charging, a serverless, cloud-native, SaaS offering architected for AWS. With so many of the topics I talk about on the reg, I knew I had to have CSG on the show.
In this episode, the second in our Software Series, we talk with Jon Fagan, CSG’s Senior Principal Cloud Architect. As a leader in cloud migration and innovation, he’s had a front-row seat to the telecom industry’s journey to the public cloud. Jon talks with me about:
- What cloud native means to CSG [3:18];
- Why the shift to the public cloud is an all-encompassing, culture-changing event [4:54];
- Why CSG decided to partner with AWS for Ascendon Rating and Charging, while also remaining cloud agnostic [5:15];
- The tricky business of navigating the telecom industry’s love affair with customizations [10:32];
- How CSG tries to find a balance between staying nimble and innovative while being a trusted and responsive partner to telcos [15:07].
Listen to the end of the interview to learn something about Jon that clearly sets him apart from his public cloud peers and to hear my take on the misleading use of the term “SaaS” [16:31].
Links and Resources
You can find the transcript for this episode here.
Jon Fagan is Senior Principal Cloud Architect at CSG where he is in charge of public cloud strategy, adoption and standards. He leads the Platform Management and Security teams in CSG’s next-generation platform, Ascendon, and has built CSG’s Public Cloud Practice from ground zero to a company-wide, innovative environment. His partnerships extend to the practitioners at AWS and Microsoft Azure, CSG’s customers, and leading industry experts. He has participated in “How to Adopt Cloud” sessions through multiple companies and industries.
The Telco in 20 podcast won a 2022 Gold Hermes Award and was recognized on Forrester’s 2021 list of the Top 100 Channel Podcasts and Feedspot’s Top 10 Telecom Podcasts list.
If you enjoy the podcast, would you leave us a short review? It takes you seconds to do in your app and it really makes a difference in helping to convince hard-to-get guests. And I love reading your feedback and reviews!
- Executive Producer and Host: Danielle Royston, TelcoDR
- Executive Producer: Kristin Donelson, OneLouder Marketing
- Senior Producer: Lindsay Grubb, TillCo Media
- Editor/Producer: Alisa Jenkins Wilson, Springboard Marketing
- Audio Editing: Andrew Condell
- Music: Dyami Wilson