This year I headed to Mobile World Congress (MWC) in Barcelona to talk about the game-changing power of the public cloud for telco. While I was there, I also had the chance to sit down with Claus Verner from AWS’s global startup business development team for a conversation about another passion of mine – innovation.
Claus invited me to take part in a “fireside chat” interview from the MWC exhibit floor. He wanted to talk about the launch of TelcoDR, my calculated risk in taking over the largest exhibit space at MWC 2021 and turning it into CLOUD CITY, and how the public cloud is helping build the innovative telco software companies of tomorrow. I turned our conversation into this podcast. Listen now to hear:
- How my diverse professional background came together to make me an awesome turnaround CEO [02:31];
- How I made it “rain DR” in 2021 and skyrocketed TelcoDR’s brand recognition [06:26];
- Why and how I took a calculated risk to launch the 6,000 square meter CLOUD CITY at MWC21 – in less than 100 days [12:33];
- Why the telco industry is ripe for disruption, and where innovative startups can make their mark [16:11]; and
- What makes AWS a great partner for telco vendors that want to help the industry get to the public cloud [18:28].
Listen to our conversation by clicking play above or subscribe through your favorite podcast feed.
- Download as an MP3 by right-clicking here and choosing “save as.”
- Listen on your favorite podcast platform — see the links above under the audio player.
- You can find the transcript for this episode here.
Links and Resources
- Watch my MWC talk, The Public Cloud is NOW, on demand.
- Take a spin through last year’s CLOUD CITY to see the best booth MWC has ever seen – it’s even won awards!
- Check out this highlight reel from CLOUD CITY 2021.
- Listen to this one-hour talk given at Stanford University (which was turned into a podcast) from my friend and mentor, Joe Liemandt, recorded 17 years ago (!), about being an entrepreneur. I’ve learned a lot from him and this is one of the most popular talks of all time. It’s worth the time investment!
- I learned a lot when I worked for Joe at Trilogy, a software company in Austin, TX. PBS did a story on us and got me on camera talking about being a startup and going for it. I apologize in advance for being such a total freak, but maybe it explains a lot.
- If you think I know how to make an entrance, you should see Cruella. The Disney movie was released in 2021 and had great ways Cruella was making her mark. Watch this montage of the great stunts she did throughout that movie.
- Have an idea for a Telco in 20 podcast guest or topic? Send it in!
- Want to sponsor a podcast? Let us know
- Follow Telco in 20 on Twitter @TelcoIn20
- Follow DR on Twitter @TelcoDR
If you enjoy the podcast, would you leave us a short review? It takes you seconds to do in your app and it really makes a difference in helping to convince hard-to-get guests. And I love reading your feedback and reviews!
- Executive Producer and Host: Danielle Royston, TelcoDR
- Senior Producer: Lindsay Grubb, TillCo Media
- Editor/Producer: Alisa Jenkins Wilson, Springboard Marketing
- Audio Editing: Andrew Condell
- Music: Dyami Wilson
More episodes from Telco in 20
Telco in 20: Episode 36 | Duration: 00:13:56
The Public Cloud is NOW
Listen to the most exciting talk from MWC 2022 to learn how to turn the public cloud into a competitive advantage.
Telco in 20: Episode 35 | Duration: 00:20:50
Azure has private networks, too!
Microsoft Azure’s private network offering unites 5G, edge computing, and a robust partner network to deliver private networks to enterprises. Shriraj Gaglani, GM, Azure Private MEC, tells us what this means for telco.
Telco in 20: Episode 34 | Duration: 00:17:46
Get ready for CLOUD CITY 2022!
CLOUD CITY is back, baby! And 100% in the cloud this year. Find out what we’ve done to bring an in-person experience to our virtual platform, and what you’ll find during the event.