Moving to the public cloud is a major transformation for most telcos. There’s a lot at stake, and failure can spell disaster for an organization and its leaders. But the hard truth is that 70% of big transformation projects fail according to research from McKinsey & Company. In this episode, I sit down with Teena Piccione, a change management expert at Google, to dig into what telcos can do to keep their public cloud journey on track. Click play to hear our conversation about:
- The reasons big projects fail [03:15];
- How to build support for change in your organization [04:14];
- What to do to get a derailed project back on track [07:59]; and
- How to handle resistance to change [12:14].
Listen to our conversation by clicking play above or subscribe through your favorite podcast platform – see the links in the right column above. You can find the transcript for this episode here.
Links and Resources
- This episode combines two topics I love – transformation and human resources. Here are other great TelcoDR insights on these topics:
- Teena and I talked before she left for Alaska – the last of the US states she had left to visit. Here’s a picture from her trip.
- Check out this trailer from Insomnia, starring Al Pacino, Robin Williams, and Hillary Swank. It’s a great movie about a veteran detective sent to a small Alaskan town to investigate the murder of a teenage girl.
- Watch this fun scene from the 1987 movie, Overboard, with Goldie Hawn and Kurt Russell.
THIS WEEK’S GUEST
Teena Piccione joined Google’s corporate engineering team in February 2022 to lead the Technical Engineering Teams. She previously led Google Cloud’s Telco, Media & Entertainment, Gaming (TMEG) Industry Sales and Customer Engineering teams. She has served as the EVP/CIO for RTI International, a non-profit research institute, and held leadership positions at Fidelity Investments (COO) and AT&T (running the Big Data Center of Excellence startup). Teena sits on advisory committees with NC State University, the Digital Transformation Committee for the Governor of North Carolina, and The Kenan Institute.
Wanna talk public cloud? Telco execs, set up a meeting with our team to learn how to tap the immense business value it can bring.
- Have an idea for a Telco in 20 podcast guest or topic? Send it in!
- Want to sponsor a podcast? Let us know
- Follow Telco in 20 on Twitter @TelcoIn20
- Follow DR on Twitter @TelcoDR
The Telco in 20 podcast won a 2022 Gold Hermes Award and was recognized on Forrester’s 2021 list of the Top 100 Channel Podcasts and Feedspot’s Top 10 Telecom Podcasts list. If you enjoy the podcast, would you leave us a short review? It takes you seconds to do in your app and it really makes a difference in helping to convince hard-to-get guests. And I love reading your feedback and reviews!
- Executive Producer and Host: Danielle Royston, TelcoDR
- Senior Producer: Lindsay Grubb, TillCo Media
- Editor/Producer: Alisa Jenkins Wilson, Springboard Marketing
- Audio Editing: Andrew Condell
- Associate Producer, Kriselda Dionisio
- Music: Dyami Wilson
More episodes from Telco in 20
AT&T’s Amy Zwarico talks about shifting operating models to run workloads in the public cloud, and why the public cloud is more secure than the way many telcos do business today.
CSG’s Shaun Whalon and I believe the move to the public cloud is inevitable for telco, and discuss our different ideas about the best path to get there.